Recognize Your Employees for Their Service
It’s not always easy for employers to recognize and reward their employees, especially during a pandemic when many people are working from home. Sometimes it’s difficult for employers to make time to commend their employees on a job well done. As humans, we strive on social interaction and a sense of belonging. In a workplace, that sense of belonging is often derived from being formally or informally recognized and appreciated for performing well and that's why service recognition programs are so important. Every company should consider implementing a service award program within their company, as it recognizes the value you place on your employees and efforts they put forth to ensure the overall success of your business. The province of Ontario embodies a service award program through The Order of Ontario. The Order of Ontario is the province’s highest honour. An Ontarian who has shown outstanding qualities of individual excellence and achievement in any field is eligible to be appointed. It is reserved for Ontarians from all fields of endeavour and backgrounds, whose excellence has left a lasting legacy in the province, Canada and beyond. Members of the Order are a collective of Ontario’s finest citizens, whose contributions have shaped – and continue to shape – the province’s history and place in Canada through dedicated service to the province (ontario.ca).
It's Important to Recognize Your EmployeesA service award is an opportunity for an organization to recognize an employee for his or her longevity or tenure with the organization. A service award comes in many variations as does the approach an organization uses to recognize an employee with a service award. A service award recognizes that an employee has served an appreciated period of time in your organization. The service award allows the employer to thank the employee for his or her service (thebalancecareers.com). You can't simply have a recognition program in place and assume that all of your employees will automatically feel as though their contributions are appreciated. You have to have to come up with staff recognition ideas that actually work. Each company is different, so what works for one organization might not work for another. But, generally speaking, recognition programs should be comprehensive and feedback should be given on a regular basis. If you’re going to praise your employees, make sure that recognition is genuine. There are many different employee service gifts. Here is a list of possible ideas that may work for your business:
- Provide your employees with a gift certificate to a local restaurant, allowing them to fully enjoy their time off from work.
- Create a certificate that allows them to enjoy a casual day of dress at work.
- Reward an employee with an extra day off to use as they wish.
- Throw a company party, allowing all of your employees to let their hair down and relax while at the office.
- Bring in breakfast as a surprise. Perhaps create a hot breakfast buffet, or opt for a continental breakfast of fruit, coffee, donuts and bagels.
- Gift your employees with a token of your appreciation, such as an engraved plaque or a trophy created by Diamond Recognition.
- Designate a special parking spot for a top-notch employee, and rotate who gets to use it on a regular basis.
- Send a personalized thank you note to an employee who has put in extra effort or shown a lot of growth in recent weeks.
- Create awards for personal accomplishments that employees might achieve, such as running a marathon or celebrating a milestone anniversary.
- Design a certificate that provides employees with an extra-long lunch hour. Give it out every once in a while to employees who deserve a little reward for something they have done around the office.